INTRODUCTION TO NATIONAL CLEANER PRODUCTION OFFICE
The National Cleaner Production Office-Cambodia (NCPO-C) started as Cambodian Cleaner Production Programme (CCPP) in 2004 with financial support from State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), executed by United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and hosted by former Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy (MIME). The funding under CCPP ended in December 2008; however, CCPP continued its activity with non-cost extension by SECO and UNIDO. In the year 2009, NCPO-C was established as an autonomous institution in Department of Industrial Techniques (DOIT) in Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy (MIME). NCPO-C is also acting as a focal point of UNIDO/UNEP international network of resource efficient and cleaner production (RECP) in Cambodia.
NCPO-C is mandate to work with all sector of economy both manufacturing and service, however, in 2013 major activities are focused in the following industrial sectors:
The main activities are focused mainly in the following industrial sectors:
- Garments and Handicraft textiles
- Rice processing
- Rubber processing
- Food processing
- Brick processing
In addition to CP and related services to industrial sector, NCPO-C also provides services in thematic focus on:
1. Cleaner production and energy efficiency with capacity building and pilot projects
2. Promotion of development of renewable energy technologies particularly for captive power consumption by industries.
3. Promoting South-South co-operation and Technology transfer.
4. Clean & Sustainable Technologies for converting waste to energy and other resources.
5. Promotion of low carbon technology applications both for production technology as well as energy generation technologies.
6. Capacity building and pilot projects for certification in energy management system (EnMS 50001).
7. Sustainable product innovation in various industrial applications.
In addition to conventional services like information dissemination and awareness creation, NCPO-C provides training and consultancy services to industries (both manufacturing and service sector), government and other stakeholder organizations.